A lot of people like to spend the summer smoking meats—trust us, we are among them. In fact, our devotion is such that we created this in-depth barbecue class complete with techniques, science, 20 recipes, and a method for making smoked Bloody Mary ice. So, you probably want to check that out.
But lazy, sunny weekends are also a festive excuse to chow down on some fried goodness—and despite what your “health-conscious” friends might have you believe, the deep-fried foods are inevitably the most popular dishes at any party. So without further ado, here ya go: five crispy, crunchy party foods for all your summer celebrations.
1. Potato Chips: Make them yourself and they don’t count as junk food. (The same applies if you eat ice cream standing up. Or eat pizza for breakfast. Or—this is getting kind of sad, isn’t it?)
2. Some people might not love the idea of eating poutine in the hot season. They’re clearly not staying up late enough. No matter the time of year, any evening at the bars should end with gravy-covered fries studded with cheese curds. We’ve got two versions: old school, and new. This may be the most patriotic weekend of the year, but we salute the Canadians nonetheless.
3. Chicken Wings are right up there with ribs when it comes to food that sticks to your face. That’s why we love to eat them with family and other assorted loved ones—anybody who can’t leave you even after they’ve seen your lips stained orange.
4. Man, we love snacking on Fried Tendon Puffs. Wait, where are you going? Seriously, try these salty, crunchy treats and you will end up dreaming of them at meetings when you’re supposed to be analyzing web metrics.
5. Imagine you, only with a great Fish & Chips recipe you can whip out whenever your friends are hungry and looking to be impressed. Oh hey there buddy, no need to thank us! The joy is in the giving. Enjoy your summer!
For more great recipes, plus cooking classes, game-changing techniques, and more, join the ChefSteps culinary community.