And just like that, we’ve arrived at this time of year again. The sun is shining, you’re in your backyard on your rattan sun lounger, the summer months have officially got underway, and the fourth of July celebrations are just around the corner. For those reasons alone, you’d be clueless not to call this the best time of the year. Because in our opinion, these are the months that we spend all year waiting for.
The fourth of July is a particular favorite of mine. We take the time to visit my family, who will have undoubtedly bought an aluminium flagpole, from somewhere like Flagpoles Etc, that will see the American flag blowing in the wind, as well as breaking out the BBQ, and laying out various foods that I’ve never seen or heard of before. Yes… we go that crazy. But why not? The fourth of July and the summer months provide you with the perfect excuse to go all out, especially with your food.
A lot of people like to spend the summer smoking meats-trust us, we are among them. In fact, our devotion is such that we created this in-depth barbecue class complete with techniques, science, 20 recipes, and a method for making smoked Bloody Mary ice. So, you probably want to check that out.
And speaking of all things smoked, this Fourth of July might also be the perfect time to try out some (legal) cannabis to go along with the food. We’ve heard that some fried munchies after smoking a bowl can really up the taste level a notch; so get ready with some quality plant matter (from the likes of west coast cannabis) and let your taste buds tingle.
Lazy, sunny weekends are also a festive excuse to chow down on some fried goodness-and despite what your “health-conscious” friends might have you believe, the deep-fried foods are inevitably the most popular dishes at any party. However, we are not totally oblivious of the fact that fried food can cause inflammation in people with arthritis or other health conditions, who may even have to rely on kinesiology tape shoulder or knee supports to go about their daily lives. But oftentimes, people hog on fried food anyway, since they tend to be really tasty. So without further ado, here ya go: five crispy, crunchy party foods for all your summer celebrations.
1. Potato Chips: Make them yourself and they don’t count as junk food. (The same applies if you eat ice cream standing up. Or eat pizza for breakfast. Or-this is getting kind of sad, isn’t it?)
2. Some people might not love the idea of eating poutine in the hot season. They’re clearly not staying up late enough. No matter the time of year, any evening at the bars should end with gravy-covered fries studded with cheese curds. We’ve got two versions: old school, and new. This may be the most patriotic weekend of the year, but we salute the Canadians nonetheless.
3. Chicken Wings are right up there with ribs when it comes to food that sticks to your face. That’s why we love to eat them with family and other assorted loved ones-anybody who can’t leave you even after they’ve seen your lips stained orange.
4. Man, we love snacking on Fried Tendon Puffs. Wait, where are you going? Seriously, try these salty, crunchy treats and you will end up dreaming of them at meetings when you’re supposed to be analyzing web metrics.
5. Imagine you, only with a great Fish & Chips recipe you can whip out whenever your friends are hungry and looking to be impressed. Oh hey there buddy, no need to thank us! The joy is in the giving. Enjoy your summer!
For more great recipes, plus cooking classes, game-changing techniques, and more, join the ChefSteps culinary community.